Five Minute Free Write Day 15: Move



 "We have to move." These words were spoken by Stephen in the Fall of 2007. "After the Holidays, we have to leave." I was devastated. I actually felt physical pain in my heart as I let this idea sink in. We had purchased this home and poured our blood sweat and tears into it. We had owned other homes, but I always knew we would not stay in them. Red House was different. We planned to stay for always.
This development was the latest in a long line of losses. We were 3 years into my paralysis. We had gone through all our savings, credit cards and equity in our home. We were at 0. The financial devastation of paralysis is something people never really understand. Even with health coverage, the expenses are enormous. Surgery, rehab, medical equipment , home adaptations, the list is never ending.

To lose our home, our beloved Red House in the mountains, this was too much. To know it was because of me was almost more than I could bear. Stephen was offered a job in San Antonio that had good health benefits and a flexible schedule that would allow him to be home more to help out. We also owned a SMALL, one bedroom, fixer upper near San Antonio. We had purchased it before I was paralyzed as a future retirement location. Yes, I said 1 bedroom for 9 of us. But you do what you gotta do. It also helps when you do not really have a choice😉.

This picture was taken at our last Christmas in our beloved home. What do I see most when I look at this picture? The smiles on my children's faces. The resilience that these kiddos have shown over the years never stops amazing me. They knew this was our last Christmas in our home. They knew they had to leave not only their home, but our whole life in California to move to Texas. Yet the smiles are still there.  The biggest Blessing I have received over the last 12 years is the example of total and selfless love that my family gives me. Never once have they made me feel like a burden or cause of so much heartache for them. They keep smiling and loving and reminding me that wherever we are, we are HOME.❤️

Comments

  1. I wish I could see those smiling faces. Good family is a huge blessing is it not? :) Just popping in from the write 31 days challenge. I am #19 on the #write31days list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for joining the challenge! You wrote so much! Way tot go!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Day Challenge Day 4: My Son Spencer

Five Minute Friday: Stuck