31 Day Challenge Day 4: My Son Spencer


I'm going to take an unscheduled break from my early years to share this story. This picture came up in my Facebook memories, and I cannot let it go by without comment. This picture represents just how far my family will go to support all the crazy things I do.

This picture was taken at the 2018 World Championships for Para surfing. Several countries from all over the world were there to compete. Through a weird set of circumstances, Spencer and I ended up as part of the dance team for the opening ceremonies; When I was asked to attend, I was told that I was there to represent Triumph Foundation as a speaker and advocate. Spencer was there to lend a hand if I needed it. What he was NOT there for, was to be a part of the wheelchair dance team with his mom.

Spencer is by far the most outgoing of all my children. I've often envied the ease that he displays in every situation. However, as the reality of going on stage loomed near, Spencer looked terrified.  We had just twenty minutes to learn the "routine" When I say routine, I mean an awkward mix of arm rolling, clapping, and wheelchair spins." Spencer later told me that he wanted to bolt. He planned to run the streets of La Jolla until we found him. "How long would you stay mad mom?" he asked me years later. The truth is, not long at all!

Sadly, due to my daughter Phoebe's lack of technical know-how, there is no video of our worldwide debut. This is perhaps a good thing.  As I rolled out on the stage, I tried my best to look better than a routine thrown together at the last minute. I tried to focus on the athletes in the audience. Especially the people from countries that still think disability is worse than death. Here they were, not only living, but traveling the world and competing. I knew we looked terrible, I mean awful, however,
as I looked out at the faces of the hopeful people that had overcome so much, it kept me going.
As I looked over at my son, who I knew was mortified, I was never more proud or humbled. When I asked him later why he stayed, his answer made me cry. "Mom, where else would I be if you needed me?"
Yeah, that's my kid, and I'm beyond blessed to be his mom.

When people ask me “How do you do it?”, this is how; my family, eight people that have my back no matter what I drag them into with me.😉




Comments

  1. that was very sweet. Glad I stopped in. good on you mom, raising such a sweet lad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting, I’m very lucky despite very trying circumstances, my kiddos have surpassed my wildest dreams. I always worry about sounding “Braggy”, but to know that my paralysis didn’t paralyze them, means the world to me.

      Delete
  2. Love this story~ What a memory~ <3 *Just discovered your blog tonight via the #31days2019, Five Minute Friday writing challenge-- I will be back to read more, LW~! Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb post regarding "31 Day Challenge Day 4: My Son Spencer"

    Thanks,
    Freelance Product Photography
    Garment Photography

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your comment, it means the most to me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Five Minute Friday: Stuck