Here We Go......

Dear Family and Friends: I figured the easiest way to keep everyone posted would be to set up a blog. This will serve 2 purposes. I can keep everyone up to date on all of our "goings on" and I can also keep a journal for myself. A record of any progress because so many times, I feel as though there is none.

For those new to the journey, I will do a quick recap of our journey thus far. I will write it in parts as it is a long and very involved story. My story, from becoming paralyzed afterspinal anesthesia administered during the birth of our youngest child in 2004 caused a bleed on my spinal cord leading to Cauda Equina Syndrome. As a result of this injury, I have lost most of the use of both of my legs. I am left with some feeling and pain(yaaay). A link to more about the syndrome here:

Due to changes in the individual health care market in California and the loss of both of my doctors to retirement we find ourselves in Austin, Texas. Crazy I know. The reason we are here is that I am being seen at Baylor Health Center in Dallas. My beloved doctor(retired) in San Diego has referred me to his former medical school roommate and long time friend. Due to the extreme risk in this next surgery, I simply cannot trust anyone else. I had 2 surgeries in the summer of 2012 that were so complicated and I had further complications following the surgeries as well. Stephen and I have Prayed and thought for so long on the right decision. Those of you that have been through this with us for the last 9 years are well aware of the ups and downs our family has been through dealing with my injury and subsequent surgeries. We try and make the best decisions at the time that we can. Sadly, there is always judgement and it always causes us to pause and question what we are doing. However, we feel strongly that through our Faith and Prayer, God is leading the way.

 The screws and rods in my back from a spinal fusion in December on 2006 have come loose and need to be replaced. There is a very real possibility that following this surgery I may lose even more function in my lower body than I have now. There is also increased risk of further damage during surgery could cause paralysis going further up my body and possibly affecting my arms.

I will post this now as a test and I will add more later.
E

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

31 Day Challenge Day 4: My Son Spencer

Five Minute Friday: Stuck