FIVE MINUTE FRIDAY: EXPECT




When I found out I was pregnant with our oldest, Max, I bought both "What To Expect" books. Back in 1993 there were only 2, What To Expect When You Are Expecting and What To Eat When You Are Expecting. Now they have a few more. However, the one "Expecting" book I need is not written yet. It is the what to expect when the LEAVE!

As a mom of 7 I never imagined this day would come. We were engulfed in baby, toddler, homeschooling, activities and sports for so many years that it was a thought that rarely entered my brain. I was completely immersed in life as a full time stay at home mom and I loved every moment. Well, there might have been a few rough moments that I did not love.:)

Then, they grew up. First one turned 18 then it seemed as though I turned around and my youngest will be a teenager in November. We have 4 at home and 3 that have moved out. I am sure some reading this might think: "4 at home? That is a lot!". It is a lot, enough of course, but it is also different, very different. The 4 at home are busy and are away more and more. The house is often quiet, too quiet.

Our Spencer 18, was the most recent to leave the nest. He is up in Durango, CO spending the summer as a rookie river guide. I cried for 2 days. It is bittersweet. While I feel so proud of my adult children my mama heart breaks that they grew up and are leaving the nest. I know this is all part of the process, but I am a girl that does not like change.

These are the seasons we go through as a mom. The changes come fast. It seems as though when we get comfortable with a season with our children, it quickly changes. We may feel anxious about the changes or we may welcome them. Never knowing what to expect is a larger part of parenting that I thought.

What to expect next for me? I guess this mom needs to do what my children are doing. I need to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.:)


Comments

  1. Emily, I appreciated your words. My youngest becomes a teen soon, and it's hard to believe my kids have fewer days left in our home than I want. I guess the thing we need to remember as moms is that our job is to teach them how to fly on their own; it's a constant process of letting go, isn't it?

    Like you, it seems like just when I get used to a certain phase, the kids change, and I'm scrambling once again to figure out how to mother well in that season. May God fill you with His joy and peace as each of your children grow into who they have been created to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanne: It is such a JOY to watch them spread their wings.:) Also, as a homeschool mama, it is so rewarding to see that "it worked". Despite the worry and sleepless nights at times, home educating them was the best choice for us. Thank you for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate with sooo much of what you wrote!!! I, too, home schooled my kiddos and once they were graduated from high school I found myself wondering "what do I do now?" ...spent so much of their childhood preparing them for what they would do when they grew up I forgot to prepare myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I don't regret anything, but I DO wish that I had maybe cultivated a little something along the way. The shock of going from full and busy to a "slower" life has been and adjustment.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Day Challenge Day 4: My Son Spencer

Five Minute Friday: Stuck

Day 3: She Is Born