31 day Challenge: Unraveling EmilyAnn





                                                                  

This series is part of the annual writing challenge, 31 Days of Five Minute Free Writes.  Every October, writers like me, commit to sitting down at the computer for at least 5 minutes a day. The idea is to write,  no overthinking and no editing.  It's a brave thing for a writer to bare their unedited art. For me, it's a little like exposing my soul, and although I will write for more than 5 minutes this year, I'm committed to being brave enough to sit down and see what happens. I will do the impossible, which is to silence the inner critic monkey that roars to life the minute I sit down with a pen and paper.

This year, I've chosen the theme of Unraveling EmilyAnn. In a way, it seems self-indulgent, and I struggle with the memoir genre in writing. I'm a Midwest girl, brought knowing it is rude to talk about yourself. However, I've reached a point where I'm feeling the need to pause and dream about the future. I have lived day by day for the last 15 years. The future never felt sure enough for making plans, to dream about anything was not an option. It is also a reckoning of sorts. I have been able to bury myself in the business of raising children and managing the constant twists and turns that living in a chair can bring. Denial is a familiar companion, and as life is changing, it is getting harder to maintain.

During these 31 days, I will look back, excavate, and examine the deep, dark hurts of my life. It's time to grieve the dreams I had so long ago. Right now, I can afford to be undone by what I might find as I go looking for something resembling a peace about what has been and what will be ahead. I can completely unravel, and like with knitting, I will work out the knots and wind things up again. I don't know where this month of writing will take me, and I'm grateful to finally be willing to take the leap and find out where I land.

Tomorrow I begin, and I thank you for being willing to follow along.

Comments

  1. Hi Emily Ann. We met and dined at the same table at the Breathe conference a couple of years back. You are one of the reasons I enjoyed the conference so much. Thank you for the invitation. Yes, I'm in for the duration. I'm already appreciating your honesty. I'm on wordpress now, at myconcretedove.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, you are so sweet. I too enjoyed meeting you. Thank you so much for following along and I will check out you blog. God Bless

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

31 Day Challenge Day 4: My Son Spencer

Five Minute Friday: Stuck